Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Degrees of using Elephant

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I am wondering if it is correct to assume that if Elephant is used more lightly on mixes (say, reducing 2-3 db) as opposed to reducing 4-6 db's, there is more "purity" of sound, i.e., the sound is ultimately less distorted - would that be correct to assume?  Is this also part of the "Loudness Wars" debate?

My sound experiments seem to show that this is true for my style of music, but as always, it's nice to hear an expert opinion.

Of course, it is always best to apply lowest gain - working without gain reduction is the best even.  On the other hand, do not overestimate ear response - in my opinion, it gets accustomed to dynamics in a song, and from this point of view loudness maximization is not so 'evil'.  What's bad in it is distortion.

Yes, exactly.

So, to limit the mix as much as is reasonable without distortion - that is the goal.  And then it follows that it is less likely to distort at lower levels of limiting gain, than at higher levels.  So, it may be best to reduce the peaks in a mix by 2-3 db's rather than by 4-6 db's.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.