Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant No Soft Clip in Clip Mode ?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

Aleksey...

Sorry to keep pondering on this...but what about the approach used by dbx & Lavry. dbx calls their process Type IV Conversion (used in the Quantum II); & Lavry calls theirs Soft Saturation (used in the AD122.) Even tho these are hdwe. units, they do not limit (or soft limit) in the conventional analog (or digital emulation) sense, whereby peaks are controlled as a function of signal voltage...they expand the dynamic range by mapping more bits to respresent the top of the scale.  Everything below a certain threshold is treated in a linear manner; & evrything above the threshold is treated logarithmically (actually, dbx is logarithmic...squeezing more bits between their threshold & 0dBFS, what they call the "overload region".  Lavry boosts the level by 1 bit (6dB) for all signals bellow -12dBFS...squeezing the range from -12dBFS to 0dBFS within 6dB (meaning less bit representation...I'm not sure.)

But since both processes are software code implemented, post conversion...is the same thing possible in the world of software limiters?  If the new thing is to take what we hear in the 32-Bit FP internal DAW mix enviornment (loud, but w/ no distortion); & get that to a fixed-interger stereo .wav w/ no loss in punch, clarity, detail or high fr.'s...If someone could incorporate this into a plug-in, that would be the holy grail, right there.

ftp://ftp.dbxpro.com/pub/PDFs/WhitePapers/Type%20IV.pdf

http://dbtechno.com/white_papers/AD12296MKIIIc1.pdf

mark4man

It is a known approach, implemented in VST plug-ins as well.  I just do not understand what is so 'magical' about it.  I have already developed my approach towards soft-saturation.  I won't go into much details about it, but it sounds much cleaner than hard saturation - probably even cleaner than soft saturation.

Aleksey...

Not saying it's 'magical'...only effective.  The Lavry Gold, for example, is claimed to be the cat's meow by mastering studios specializing in extra gain...said to give them a real clean option on overdrive.  I haven't heard either unit; & am only going by what I'm told. [&...I'm an in-the-box advocate when it comes to mastering anyway; & if you can acheive what they supposedly do...well, I'm awaiting the update (your soft saturation approach.)]

Thanks,

mark4man

i still find use for magneto, when used with a very small dynamic range in its sweet spot.

i would like to not use it at all, but it is unique.

i see it more likely to be replaced by a limiter than tape emulator.

it would be more in the direction of elephant clip.

hard clip in the sense of instant attack and release, but variable saturation - distortions of that clip, and variable tonal change in that clip

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First