Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Deft Compressor Feature Request(s)

Hi Aleksey,

I was looking for a compressor with heavy pumping ability and after testing dozens of compressors I finally found it in the Deft Compressor :)

Though this ability has indicated two disadvantages of the plugin (at least for me):

- Output Gain range is too little.  With hi Threshold and maximum Punch +18 often is not enough to compensate.  Something like -18/+36 would be cool.

- As you can set the compressor to have heavy impact on the signal it would be very handy to have a dry/wet control like the one in Crunchessor.  To make sense, it probably should be behind the Output Gain in the signal flow.

- The absolute optimum solution would be a separate Makeup Gain (0/+36), followed by the dry/wet section and at last the Output Gain to compensate the mixed signal.

Is there any chance that any of those features may be implemented in the future?

Best Regards,

Peter

Thanks for the feature request.  Dry/wet mix is not really required as Deft Compressor features a very precise Ratio control which works very similar to dry/wet mix control since it allows you to go from no compression to full compression in very fine steps.

I'm not sure increased output gain is required at all - I've tried various settings and +/-12 dB range is almost always adequate.  You are probably referring to Ratio like 20:1 coupled with a high attack setting - which is not a usual setting while increasing the output gain range will affect all users making it a bit inconvenient.

I suggest you to use other means to further increase the gain - e.g. channel fader.

Hey Aleksey,

The settings which showed me the issue are:

Ratio 4:1

Threshold -45

Attack 244

Release 952

Punch 71

Maybe somewhat extreme for some knobs but if it shouldn't be used, the plugin shouldn't let me input it, right? ;-)

Of course I can use channel faders to compensate but then it gets nearly impossible to do proper A/B comparisons.

I also tried your suggestion about Ratio for Dry/Wet purposes but it sounds totally different (lowering ratio sounds "jumpy" while setting 50% dry sounds smooth)

Of course I don't know the internals of the plugin but from the theoretical point of view it's unlikely to reproduce a dry/wet control with Ratio because no matter how low I set Ratio it's still downward compression.

I could use the host for dry/wet to do parallel compression but it's again unwieldy to do A/B comparisons because when I click on the A/B knob in Deft Compressor it doesn't change the Host dry/wet control.

Best Wishes,

Peter

At your settings, the makeup gain required is around +12 dB which is covered by output gain control's +/-18 dB range.

I'm not interested in adding the Dry/wet control because from my developer's perspective it's only marginally different from a precise Ratio control which is available in Deft Compressor.  It does sound different to Wet/dry control, but in no way absolutely worse or better.

You may be right that from a mathematical point of view +12dB is enough; from a musical point of view it isn't (at least with the material that I send through it)

Same goes for the Ratio thing, maybe the numbers seem to be equal but I like to trust my ears and in the scenario I mentioned above it isn't a slight difference; it's more like day and night.  Especially at extreme settings it's a thin line between smooth breathing and chopped stuttering.

Anyways, as you're saying you're not interested in adding anything it makes not much sense to discuss any further.  It was worth a try ;)

Best Regards,

Peter

Aleksey Vaneev: At your settings, the makeup gain required is around +12 dB which is covered by output gain control's +/-18 dB range.

Aleksey Vaneev: I'm not interested in adding the Dry/wet control because from my developer's perspective it's only marginally different from a precise Ratio control which is available in Deft Compressor.  It does sound different to Wet/dry control, but in no way absolutely worse or better.

well...thats really sad you are not going to add dry/wet control.it is nice compressor...maybe even the best because it keeps frequncies so good but its quite easy to overdrive it. and paralle compression..c'mon!every modern buss compressor should have this "mix" knob.

even from financial point of viev..and markeing. i quite often see posts like" could you recommend me a compressor with the mix knob"...great sound+ mix knob and deft would be perfect!

all the best

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.