Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ CurveEQ hard disk problem

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I'm loving CurveEQ and finding it helps me greatly improve my translations from one monitor system to another.  I do see a problem in Cubase SX though.  I 'captured' a whole song and then tried to 'match' over a whole song and I began getting heavy disk I/O as the matching process proceeded.  About 2/3 of the way through the song the disk meter in SX peaked and the audio began dropping out in large chunks.  I of course had to stop the processing and let the system catch it's breath.  I did achieve a good match but wanted to let it continue to the end of the song.  Just wondering why this happened, Other than this I have no problems with CurveEQ or any other plugins.

Thanks,

Lee

DellDimension 8100, 1.3GHz P4, 640MB R-DRAM, M-Audio Delta 66, Windows 2000 Pro, ATI Radeon 32M DDR


Actually, it is very difficult to tell what's causing this problem.  By software design, matching process is similar to initial spectrum capture (only 'stop' behaviour is different).  Do you suspect this is a P4 denormalization problem?

Ah, also wanted to ask you which channel have you selected during spectrum matching (is it Mix, Left or Right)?

Maybe you could check your HD's DMA settings to be sure DMA mode is enabled...  Under win98 enabling DMA is essential.  Although, I'm not sure if this option is available in win2k.


Yet another question...

Could you monitor your system's information while spectrum matching is in progress?  Physical and virtual memory usage must remain the same if both Cubase SX and CurveEQ have no memory leakage problems.

Such HD spiking can be caused by excessive memory usage which causes many memory swapping operations.


CPU usage seems fairly constant so I don't suspect it is a 'denormal' issue but I could be wrong.  I used MIX mode during capture and matching.  I will investigate these suggestions and get back with the results.  How does one monitor the system's memory usage while matching is in progress?

Thanks,

Lee


You can try this utility:

http://www.webattack.com/get/cacheman.shtml

You don't have to 'optimize' anything as it suggests, but you can still see its report on system parameters.

However, I think there must be some kind of a native tool in win2k for system monitoring.


I have found no simple explanation for this problem but have found a way around it.  I split my projects into pieces, one 'song' being all the raw tracks prior to mixdown and the other 'song' being the PreMaster, Master and CD mixes.  Somehow this cures the problems I had been seeing and helps unload the computer from one task to another.  I'm thinking now this problem was more related to SX overhead when so many tracks were being handled.  Even though the raw tracks were muted and effects were turned off there still must be overhead associated with them being there and possibly turned on at any moment so I think Cubase was just swamped with things to do and began having problems.  Probably just coincidence that I had just installed CurveEQ when the problem began appearing.

If I have any more info I will return and add it to this thread.

Thanks,

Lee


OK, Lee.  Thanks for the info.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.