Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Ring Modulation when VST3 used in SONAR Platinum

I'm posting this to CurveEQ merely because it is the last sub-forum with some activity....and because CurveEQ is one of the VST3 implementations that has this issue.

I noticed it first when I put an instance of SPAN VST3 into the master fx bin of SONAR Platinum 2016.05 (v 22.5.0 build 43).  The frequency spectrum showed a sweep going all the way to the max at 20KHz.  When I tried an instance of any other Voxengo VST3 plug in a track fx bin...the audio sounds like it's going through a ring modulator.  VST2 versions of these plugs work fine.

Has this been reported before?

This is some new issue.  For now, please use VST2 version.  I suggest you to report this issue to Sonar developers.  I have not received any similar issue report for other host applications.

A bit more information (also posted on the Cakewalk, Problem Reports forum)...

I'm presently on Windows 10...though I was getting this before I updated (on 07/28/16) so I don't think it's a factor.

My interface is an M-Audio Firewire 1814, running "updated" (11/14/2009) ASIO drivers, going ADAT to an old Yamaha 01v.  I most recently encountered this problem with the VST 3 version of Elephant v4.4.  There was a 689 Hz tone superimposed on the output signal that was causing the ring modulator effect.  It wasn't a sine wave.  It had strong harmonic peaks running past 15k.

The audio driver was running at 64 samples...so I changed it to 128 samples...and the problem disappeared.  Oddly enough, it was still gone when I set it back to 64 samples.

Does that shed any more light on the problem?

This may mean it's not related to plugin's processing, especially if the problem did not return back when you switched back from 128 to 64.  This sounds like some weird issue with audiocard drivers.  I also suggest you to switch between different processing modes in Elephant to see if the problems goes away.  Note that if this problem happens with different VST3 plugins, it may not be caused by these plugins, because they all use different internal signal processing algorithms.  It's either audiocard driver issue or Sonar's VST3 implementation issue.

I only ran into this with Voxengo VST 3's.  Then again, the only other VST 3's I'm using are included with SONAR.

Hmm...

Let's say that perhaps we have just one or two samples out of each 64 sample buffer that aren't authentic audio data.  That would sound like a narrow pulse wave (depending on the value of the bogus samples...and what the surrounding samples were doing).

44,100 / 64 = 689 (ish)

Look at that!

I had changed the buffer size to see if it would change offending signal frequency.  Instead, it disappeared entirely.

I suggest you to also try MSED VST3 - this plugin has 2 in 2 out configuration.  Most other Voxengo plugins are multi-channel capable.  Most Sonar plugins are also 2 in 2 out.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.