Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Curve difference on frequency points

Hi Aleksey,

I'm trying to understand something about what I see in CurveEQ.

CurveEQ is in average mode and the capture on both reference track and current mix was done when the spectrum was stabilized.  Mix was volume-matched to the reference track (even though you state that it doesn't make a difference)

Let's take a frequency point of 350hz.  On the spectrum view, my mix shows +3db at that frequency compared to the reference track.

When I match the reference curve to my mix, the 350hz point shows a difference of -11.9db.  I expected a difference closer to -3db.

So why such a gap between what I expected and what was analyzed?  Take note that both captures were done with similar sounding material.

CurveEQ 3.3 x64.

Regards.

Make sure you are looking at the right scale - spectrum power scale is displayed on the right side of the UI.

Aleksey,

I was indeed looking at the eq gain scale on the left.  However, something still escapes me with the spectrum power scale on the right.  Tried to find an explanation for it in the Span, CurveEQ and generic manuals but I couldn't find it.

So I did a test.  Source is white noise and the target is white noise with a 48db/oct hi-cut at 16k.  Then I matched the spectrums.

On the source white noise curve, the spectrum power scale at 20k reads -45db.  On the target white noise curve with Hi-Cut on, the spectrum power scale at 20k reads -70db.

So if I understand correctly your answer, the matched curve should read a gain of +25db at 20k to match the source.  But it reads a gain of +14.9db.

Looking forward to your answer so I can understand better.

Hold on...  I just noticed something.  The 20k point, when I look at the spectrum power scale is around -23db, which is close enough to a gain of +25db.  However, the equalizer gain scale gives me +14.9db when I put the mouse cursor on it.

That's what gets me confused.

Regards.

Do not forget to set the Slope parameter to 0 if you need a flat white noise spectrum response.  When looking at the equalizer gain scale make sure cursor points to EQ curve point and not the spectrum.  Equalizer gain on the left is for EQ curve.  Gain on the right is for spectrum.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.