Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Phone RIAA Compensation EQ Setting

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

Is there a preset somewhere for a RIAA EQ setting?

I do not have such preset, sorry.

I've just released CurveEQ v2.6 which features two 'Phono compensation' EQ presets.

Hi!

Please tell me something about RIAA Correction Curve Accuracy??

Maybe in comparision between CurveEQ and http://www.channld.com/pure-vinyl_specs.html

Best Regards!

Stef

I'm sorry, I can't tell as I have not performed relevant measurements (so I may be wrong).  RIAA curve in CurveEQ is available for convenience only, without precision guarantee.  I believe it should be precise +/-0.01 dB down to 40 Hz.  The main error is below 40 Hz, but it does not exceed 0.4 dB, according to visual graph.

Hi!

In this case I must test it by myself.

I have 3 additional questions ;-)

How many points may I add to graph in CurveEQ?

Is it possible to assign value (using keyboard) to each particular graph point?

Last one ;-) When I use RIAA preset - is it any additional cololaration free?  Only pure correction from the preset applied?

[edited today]

And one more - I have studied RIAA curve in details and I am afraid about one thing.

There is a 50kHz break point after this point the curve becomes flat.

CurveEQ has been working with maximum 48kHz sample rate (24kHz bandwidth).

In this case the curve plot stopped in the middle of available bandwidth.  So - does this limitation have not any fluent of sound reproduction?

Maybe it is worth to implement - in this particular case only - possibility to work CurveEQ with 192kHz sample rate.  In this case the 50kHz break point will be included within bandwidth available.

And by the way CurveEQ may become a real competitor to Pure vinyl (offline processing of course) but available on Windows based PC and with less on price ;-) There is also one more advantage – buying a good quality sound card (with sensitive linear preamplifiers) you may resign to buy a phono preamplifier.  The good one phono preamplifiers are very pricey.

Wow – I have found a very useful application of your plugin ;-)

Think about it Aleksey… I may be a beta tester for this solution ;)

Best Regards!

Stef

You may add up to 96 points, but you can't enter them via the keyboard (such feature is planned for the next major CurveEQ version).

Since CurveEQ is a linear-phase equalizer and RIAA curve is a smooth one, coloration should be undetectable.  On the other hand, it may be beneficial to use min-phase mode which adds coloration - in this case it may undo the phase shift induced by inverse RIAA curve when it was applied.

As for the bandwidth limitation, there is little sense in defining RIAA curve above 20kHz (it's basically inaudible).  So, there should be no problems with the curve appearing as a flat line above 20kHz on the spectrum analyzer.

CurveEQ can already be used for RIAA compensation - I do not see a need for some specific plug-in with a small market.

Aleksey Vaneev: ...such feature is planned for the next major CurveEQ version).

When this new version become available for customers - approximately..?

Aleksey Vaneev: CurveEQ can already be used for RIAA compensation - I do not see a need for some specific plug-in with a small market.

I have not thought about new specific plugin in this one particular case.  I have thought about extending CurveEQ functionality in this region for the maximum possibility available – even if it is basically inaudible.  Basically – it is good word in this context ;-)

Best Regards!

Stef

stefano_pl: When this new version become available for customers - approximately..?

I can't tell an exact date.  While I plan to release new versions of plug-ins like GlissEQ, Voxformer and Elephant before Q3'2008, other plug-ins, including CurveEQ may take more time to port.

Tonight I have tried setup new curve in CurveEQ.

I have found a little bit problem.

When I have tried setup value, for example, 19.36dB I have not done it enough precisely.  There is a threshold when I scrolling values using mouse – I have set up 19.30, then 19.44 – but not any value between this two points.

Is it any possibility to proper, exact setup points within the projected curve?  In my opinion such plugin behavior is very strange and limiting plugin functionality in some cases…

And one more question – I have seen that in case RIAA curve the white line is a little below points (in low frequency range).

Is the white line describes transformation function or the points location within graph?

Best Regards!

Stef

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First