Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ low cpu usage?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

Hi guys,

I need to have curve eq running all the time as a monitor EQ thing for when sound is going out to my monitors.

Is there a way to "capture" CurveEQ's settings and use a simpler plugin which allows no changes but also lowers the CPU usage?

I'm pretty concerned, because my PC is only a pentium 3 at 1 GHz - so every cpu cycle matters..

Right now I'm using the sound card's onboard DSP for this purpose but... it's nowhere as good as Curve EQ.

Could you recommend some way to hack this together?

Thanks a lot,

Damian

I do not think this is possible.  You could use Pristine Space or some other convolution plug-in, but CurveEQ itself performs convolution pretty efficiently, so there is no way to have a better performance.  The only option is to use any parametric equalizer with a similar EQ curve.  However, it is hardly possible to replicate complex EQ curves with parametric equalizer.

Thanks for the answer, Aleksey!  As always, 100% service.

Lately I checked this out:

Some parametric EQ -> Curve EQ...  I'd capture the parametric EQ and invert it.  What you get is coloration (phase shift) without the change in gain.  Pretty cool!

Ever thought of making something like Curve EQ but doing phase shift instead of gain? (*insert dreamy face smiley*)

Or a phase-aligning tool for aligning bass in multiple tracks you're mixing.

Thanks,

Damian

You could use PHA-979 for phase aligning.  The way you do the phase shift is usually very weak.  It is strong only if you are using steep EQ changes.  I had some ideas about group delay equalization plug-in.  However, I think it is too advanced to be useful for anyone, so I'm not hurrying with its making.

Hey Aleksey,

PHA only changes the whole track's phase.

What I mean is changing the phase-relations of the harmonic content of the track (that is, "colorizing").

I think I'm yet to see some plugin that does just that.

Yes, I have not seen such plug-in as well yet.  But it is possible that I will create such plug-in after all (maybe in a greatly simplified interface - like 5 knobs from lowest to highest frequencies, with a pretty obvious effect).  This may even become a universal phase-aligning tool since you could perform adjustments similar to what PHA-979 can do already.  That sounds like an interesting evolution of PHA-979 as well...

Hey Aleksey, thanks for considering this.

Maybe you could easily modify the Curve EQ code.  The vocoded bands would be earlier-later instead of being attenuated boosted.  I think there is one question here... would this GUI work on the scale of "phase" or "delay time"?  With the first one, a flat line would delay each band by e.g. pi/4.  The second one, it would delay each band by e.g.  20ms (I think the first one would be more musically-oriented).  Maybe you could also make a "phase capture" tool which would work like the Curve EQ capturing tools.

The question is, how delay for the highest bands would work.  It would probably require oversampling (I am for example limited to running at 48kHz).

It could be interesting to "colorize" a dry pad with e.g. the phase relations of a good violin quartet - don't you think?

If you want to try this, I'll be glad to beta-test it and give you feedback.

Thanks,

Damian

I do not plan to add this frequency-dependent phase aligning to CurveEQ.

Phase adjustment does not require oversampling.

Hey Aleksey, perhaps you could explain this to me if you have the time:

If I mix at 44,1 kHz, and take (for example) a 22050 Hz sine, then it can only be in two "states" - in phase and out of phase - am I wrong?  How do you get the resolution required to shift the 22050 Hz sine wave by, for example, 10%?  Could you direct me to any good reading about that?

Thanks,

Damian

Sure thing, the 'last' frequency can not carry phase information - it always stays at phase 0 (the same as DC component).
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First