Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Emulating equipment with CurveEq

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Does this make sense?

I imagine having a sweeping test tone I can play through my nearfield monitors.  Then I record this through a microphone and save as a wave file.

Next I record the same sweeping test tone with the same microphone through my guitar amp or whatever equipment I want to emulate.

Now using CurveEq I can make my nearfield monitors emulate my guitar amp.  That way I can make presets for my guitar pedal using it through my DAW and get a better idea of what it will sound like when I get to the rehearsal room.

...  Of course, there is more to emulating my guitar amp than EQ, but still.

I guess the same principle could be used to emulate how a backing track would sound over the P.A. or a song on the kitchen radio?  In fact, if we all used a microphone like a SM57 and the same test tone, we might even exchange presets.

This makes sense down to the quality of such 'substitution'.  Usually it can't be high quality.  There is such product available on the market called Antares Mic Modeler - it allows to remove character of a mic and to apply new character of another mic.  But this does not work well all the time.

CurveEQ, of course, cannot be used for such purpose other than its SpectruMatch function - but with it you do not need any swept sine tones.  Just record two takes on different equipment and make a match between the two.

Well, I tried it.

I got a sine sweep from 16 to 22 KHz over 20 secs.  I intended to cover the whole spectrum equally well with no missing areas.

Then I recorded my two sets of monitors with an SM57 (Dynaudio BM6A and Yorkville ysm1p).

Using CurveEq to make the Dynaudios sound like Yorkvilles actually gave me a good impression of what the Yorkvilles would sound like.  Admittedly, the Dynaudios still sounded better, had more clarity.  Neverthelless, testing a couple of songs the darker sound of the Yorkvilles was emulated well enough.

Making backing tracks for myself to play over P.A., I have too often been misled by nearfield monitors, having to go back and cut bass, particularly.  I think CurveEq may be of help here.  Only I will need to find a way to record my P.A. with mobile equipment.

Once I get around to do the job, emulating kitchen and car radios and more, I will post the presets here.

It's a nice approach - to use swept sines, for spectrum matching.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.