Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Idea for Voxengo plugins: 32bit integer signals?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

As we all know, 32 bit floats only have about 25 bits of integer precision.  I was wondering if it is possible to abuse the VST system, ignoring that the VST host supposes the data is floating point numbers, and just store 32 bit integers in the audio buffers?  Of course it would cause nothing but terrible noise and invalid not-a-numbers if fed to an unsuspecting plugin or host, but maybe it could be used between two Voxengo plugins in an effect chain?  Does for instance Cubase SX check the output of a plugin, that it doesn't contain NaNs?  If it passes the output of one plugin to the input of another without checking its validity in any way, then maybe we could get some additional bits of precision.  I think maybe some mastering engineers wouldn't mind more bits, right?

Voxengo plugins would have to have an option "treat input as 32 bit integer" and "output in 32 bit integer", with appropriate warning signs, of course. ;) And scaling factors of course, ie. by how many bits to scale up/down before converting internal 64 bit floats to/from 32 bit integer, etc.

This COULD destroy your speakers and/or ears, should you make a mistake with the options.

So Aleksey and everybody else, what do you think? :) Just a wild idea.

Sorry I posted this in the CurveEQ forum, but I couldn't find a better one.  I'm a CurveEQ user, btw!  Great plugin.

I think we don't have a problem here, at all.  Resolution limits of 32-bit floats play role ONLY when 32-bit float processing is used internally, on all stages (including filters, accumulators and so on).  Since all Voxengo plug-ins use 64-bit float processing (with some parts even being executed in internal FPU's 80-bit floats) the inter-plug-in 32-bit transfer does not make things sound considerably inferior.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.