Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Re: Balanced spectrum plot visual and other

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I am still struggling with the balanced spectrum plot and what it visually looks like.  I have attempted to adjust points so that the plot is "almost a straight line" with HORRIBLE results..way too much high, not enough bass, weak mid range.  If I'm suppose to be looking for something specific I'm not seeing it.  What should I look for?

When I use Gear Matching, once I know what to look for as far as a spectrum plot, do I always want to maintain that "look", and tweak so I get back to it, or just leave it as is?

Till Aleksey gets here...what are you balancing?  Single instrument or full mix?

If you can find a similar commercial sample that sounds great compare yours to that reference and see what the spectrum looks like.  NExt adequate monitoring is essential.  Finally if doing "drastic" EQ changes it's polite to give your ears some time to adjust to the new sound without passing judgement - ears are people too! :) Good Luck!

daydad, I think I was not too precise by saying spectrum should be an 'almost straight line'.  It should look more like an 'inverted smiley', with roll-offs below 80 Hz and above 12kHz, and a slight wide bell shape boost centered around 700 Hz or so.

There should be no definitive dips and notches - that's for sure.

Alexsey,

When you wrote about a straight line spectrum, I took that to literally mean a FLAT "straight line", not a somewhat flat topped jagged line, (normal spectrum otuput), as I now understand by viewing a couple of commerical CDs in SPAN.  I had control points at the high level going up to +20, and my mid and bass touched -15.

I have my slope set at 4.0, kernel precision at 700, spectrum inertia at 7 spectrum type at 1/3, and CPU spread diabled.  Is this somewhat appropriate for Rock/Prog Rock mixes, (multiple synths, distorted GTR/synth melodies, NO vocal)?

Thanx

Slope 4.0 may sound a little bright.  However, if 5.0 sounds dark (after you EQ according to it) then 4.0 is a better option.

CPU Spread is a 'techie' option - it does not really affect sonic/visual aspects of CurveEQ.

Alexsey,

What is the difference between a slope of 3.0, 4.0, and 5.0?  For an individual just learning this product, what globals would you suggest to aquire the best and easiest harmonic balance? i.e.  Spectrum inertia 5 vs 7 vs 9, a "full" spectrum type vs one of the fractions, etc.

Thanks

Slope is just a parameter which affects visual transformation.  It kind of rotates the whole spectrum counter-clockwise.  So, with Slope 5.0 spectrum counter-clockwise rotation is greater that with Slope 3.0.

Slope is defined in Decibells Per Octave.  That is - amount of decibell adjustment per octave of the spectrum.

Spectrum intertia also does not affect the sound - it's just a helper for you.  If you like fast-moving spectrums then use lower intertia otherwise use a higher inertia setting.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.