Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Voxengo Curve EQ vs. Soniformer?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

I have been mixing and mastering (well, I "like" to think I am, anyway) in SONAR 4.  I'm a neophyte, but I am having fun!

I was looking at Voxengo's Mastering Suite and trying to decide if I need all of what's in the suite . . .

It seems to me that Curve EQ and Soniformer do very similar things.  I know, one is a spectrum based EQ, and one is considered more a multiband compressor, but would one use both in the same arrangement or compilation?

Is it redundant to get both?  If not, what would the plug-in chain look like if you used both?

Thanks,

Tesgin

Hi Tesgin, you'd be best to get both because you will need the eq for correcting any rogue frequencies and to generally shape and balance the spectrum, then soniformer will be able to smooth out any "dynamic" issues you want to smooth or tighten up.

Remember with eq you will change the level of the freq over the entire song whereas with soniformer you are only controlling the transients when they reach a certain threshold.

for a simple but effective chain try this...

Curve EQ - Soniformer - Elephant.

cheers,

Ged Leitch,

BitHead Mastering

That makes a lot of sense to me.

The cahin as you described it would be the last things in my mixing chain?  At the final mixing bus?

Is that chain sufficient, or would I need the other components, for example, that are in the Mastering Suite?

TB

Tesgin, I guess that chain of three plug-ins should be pretty sufficient to get your started - and there's a separate bundle for these three plug-ins available for purchase.  If you do not think all plug-ins in Mastering Suite are necessary for you then go for that smaller bundle.

Tesgin: That makes a lot of sense to me.

Tesgin: The cahin as you described it would be the last things in my mixing chain?  At the final mixing bus?

Tesgin: Is that chain sufficient, or would I need the other components, for example, that are in the Mastering Suite?

Tesgin: TB

No they wouldnt be used on the mixing chain.

Just mix your song till your happy with the balance etc, then render as a stereo wav or aiff file, then open a new session project and import the stereo wav/ aiff file to an audio track- then insert the plugin chain i suggested.

If the mix is balanced correctly you should not need more than the plugs in that chain to get a great master, though obviously the key is in knowing how to use them for the good of the song.

cheers,

Ged Leitch,

BitHead Mastering

Not much to add to the answers above except, I use both the Soniformer the CurveEQ, followed by Elephant and I love it.

This combination could be lethal in inexperienced hands, and mine can hardly be called experinced, LOL, but it can produce fantastic results if you are careful.  A fabulous range of tone shaping options available with these two, no doubt.

I am using Soniformer - Gliss EQ - Elephant (in the order on the Master bus)

Two questions:

1.  Proper order? (different than what is listed above)

2.  Is Gliss EQ right?

Thanks

Rob

I think you have it configured right.  GlissEQ is OK to use on the master bus.

Ive seen the above method before and I know this is not voxengo specific - but *why* would you export a mix and then apply a mastering chain to the mixed file?

Why on earth wouldnt you simply add the mastering chain to the end of the mix master output?  What are the benefits of doing the method described above?  Thanks

sneaky, usually mastering plug-ins are more CPU-heavy, and you may run out of CPU power.  Another reason is that mastering is usually performed in a different room and studio.  Room acoustics (sound system used) is very important during mastering - it allows to find problems and fix them precisely.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First