Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Crunchessor Trouble with transients

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

hey, I've been using the Crunchessor for a little while and I find that it doesn't work well on sounds with quick transients.  I find that even with the shortest attack time, every time a transient (sharp attack of snare, or sudden increase in level of singing) occurs, I get a clicking sound.  This sounds especially bad on drums as I simply can not get a full fat sound like I could with the demo of Waves RComp or Sonalksis Compressor.  Am I doing something wrong ?

Especially on mixes with a lot of instruments using a lot of crunchessor & voxformer plugins, whenever I hit play I get a loud sound until the compressors start to kick in which forces me to run a master limiter on all mixes.  It seems that very quick transients can not be tamed with crunchessor and I must use the elephant limiter instead, which is a problem due to the latency.

Not exactly sure what this is, I think ability for really really short attack times would be useful when it's important that transients are squashed, maybe look-ahead could be an option or a simple limiter on the output of the compressor ?  I'll do some more tests on this and post more detailed comparisons (with audio samples) very soon.

Thanks a lot

Fots

Have you tried using Attack 0,5 and H attack mode (instead of the default S)?  Additionally you may need to set a lower Release value (50ms, maybe).

hey Aleksey, I will admit that I have tried everything you have mentioned and have tried tweaking each and every setting on the the plugin but I find that Crunchessor isn't totally smooth with quick attack times.  I did some experiments with it and RComp to see what was going on.  I have put up a little page at http://www.users.on.net/~djbros/Voxengo/ to show you what I mean.  I used the shortest attack times possible on both plugins even though you will notice that the RComp actually is even faster than Crunchessor :) I find really fast attack times quite useful for getting heavy ... slightly distorted sounds, especially on drums ! :D

I think that voxformer could also use the limiter on output as the compressors tend to produce a lot of peaks with vocals.  I think this is the technique Waves RVox uses to keep the vocal from getting extremely loud during quick transients.

Please tell me what you think...

Thanks a lot for your time mate

Fots

Thanks for your help over at KvR :D

Cheers

Fots

You are welcome! 'U' attack mode is in the todo list.

I've released Crunchessor beta 1.6.1 with this 'U' attack mode.  You may check it out.

I have just tried it mate, it's awesome !!!  This is exactly what I need !!!  Thank you sooooo much :D:D:D:D

Keep up the brilliant work

Fots

Meanwhile I'm planning to do some more rearrangements.  Mainly to the release stage - I (and another person) thinks it's too fast.

I agree about the release.  Something is still a bit 'clumsy' with it.  Not sure what's wrong but maybe it is too linear somehow?  Maybe a release with several stages could sound more musical? (La-2A supposedly has several stages).

About the new U attack shape, it's fantastic!  Very much like the sound of it.  Crunchessor can finally do some ordinary compression duties too. ;)

Cheers!

bManic

yeah, a new release mode could be excellent.  I think that's also another little problem with crunchessor (as you mentioned) which makes me have to set the release quite low to get the sound I'm after. "clumsy" release is a good description bManic :D

I know I keep going on about this, but a soft limiter on the output would be very very useful also.  But, this is now a much more powerful tool in my opinion, and using a separate track limiter after it, I can now get a very good sound, so wonderful work !

You should try out the RComp and RVox by Waves and compare to Crunchessor & Voxformer compressors as a reference mate.  I know it's not usually good to compare, but I think it will help when tweaking the sound.

RComp - similar to the U mode except for the release ... has a L1 style limiter on the output

RVox - works very different to the Voxformer even though they mostly sound similar.  I believe RVox using a soft knee peak limiter, and thus, the signal is very well balanced in terms of volume.  The voxformer sounds awesome, but sometimes the quick transients (after silence) get through and really jump at you until the compressor kicks in again, especially when you are compressing quite hard.

Am I the only one who likes a soft / low latency limiter on the output of compressors ? lol maybe :D ...  I won't mention it again, I promise :D

Honestly Aleksey, these are little things which I can get around, and I do apologise to keep comparing products, I honestly just love the voxengo stuff a lot and want to see it easily beat everything else out there which it already does in a lot of areas.  The Elephant is without doubt the best limiter I've heard & the CurveEQ has no competition at all.  Pristine Space (except for the IR1 & Wizoo W2) is a very good value top notch reverb.  The EQs are transparent and clean, they sound a lot more natural than the waves stuff.  The compressors just need a little tweaking and a few other tiny features:D

Anyway, keep up the awesome work !  I have successfully migrated projects produced at a friends house using Waves to Voxengo plugins and they sound awesome now !

Cheers

Fots

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First