Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Crunchessor question about Drive param

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

hi all. it's been a while since i played around with Crunchessor, but since v1.6 was just released, i thought i'd D/L it again and check out the competition. ;)

one thing that i find a bit confusing is the Drive parameter. the manual states that it controls the amount of compression, so i assume it means "sidechain drive". however, it seems to also boost the output; only the boost in level has nothing to do with the dB display value.

so my only thought is that there is some sort of auto-makeup gain happening. i'm not complaining--i think it's actually a very good thing--but i was just curious if that is what it is, and if so, why.

== chunk

Yes, Crunchessor's compressor does auto makeup based on the Drive setting.  That's why it is better to feed side-chain signal of the equal peak power as the signal you are processing, otherwise auto makeup gain will be a little off the line.

i see. so it's some pre-determined make-up gain which is calculated based on typical gain reduction of a typical signal level at the given Drive setting?

== chunk

Yes, that's pretty close.  In fact, this makeup gain works almost flawlessly if you are not using a different side-chain signal.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.