Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Crunchessor Question & feature request

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Request: 1.  If i change the output level the red clipping indicator should clear automatically.

2.  Some plug-ins (Sonalksis e.g.) allow ctrl+left clicking the clipping indicator to automatically adjust the output level to a setting where it just wouldn't have clipped - very handy i think!

My question is: Why is it so "easy" to light up that red clipping indicator? (not only in Crunchessor but also in other non-Voxengo plugs).  Shouldn't there be more than enough headroom with internal double precision and most hosts operating at 32bit float?  I can understand why clipping on the master bus must be avoided but a VST passing audio to a host channel....

I am a bedroom amateur - so sorry if this is a stupid question... : )

You do not have to pay attention to that clipping indicator because indeed, it does not really clip inside the plug-in.  It is an approximation pretending the plug-in stays as a last plug-in in the chain of a master bus.  If clip led does not light up it means that signal level stays within -1..1 'valid' range.

I'll make the output level reset on Out gain changes.  Thanks for the tip!

Your request 2 is not really a necessity in the light of my explanation above.

Great, thanks for the info!

I think the "clip" indicator could be labelled "over 0dBFS" or something, just to make it clear that Crunchessor doesn't perform any clipping, and it's only a warning sign that clipping may occur later, if the signal is routed to master output without limiting.  When I started using Crunchessor, at first I thought that it means clipping.

YF, you are right, I'll change that in the user's manual.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.