Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Crunchessor Version 1.2a

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi,

Just wanted to say that the new release control is awesome!  Am I hearing weird things or are the release curves of the two modes very different?  I found that when comparing both release curves at 25ms the new one sounds better on most material that I've tried.  Would it be possible to extend the new mode to around 100ms or even more and give us the option of a second release shape?  I'd like this very much!

Also, if possible could you make it so that the two release modes follow eachothers settings? that is, if I put the new release at 25ms and then switch to old it would also be at 25ms.  As it is now the old release would be at 3000ms and I'd have to drag the knob back for a/b and then again when I switch to the new release.

IMO release shapes are sooooo important and are the major reasons for some compressors sounding better/more musical than other.

Cheers!

bManic

Release curve algorithm is not changed with the release range, so I'm not sure what can I do here.

I'll implement that auto release time value switching.

Ok, I thought so.. must be plasebo for sure.  Thanks for the quick responce!

- bManic

Oh one more thing,

Would it be possible to add a " Detector Stereo Link on/off/L/R/mix/difference " switch to the compressor?  I love the sound of a slightly unstable stereo image during compression.  It brings a certain sound of liveliness and movement to audio material.

Cheers!

bManic

This is a little out of my plans, unfortunately.  I want to add side-chain mode which will require an additional control.  Thank you for request, though.

Maybe hide all extra options that people wouldn't touch too often?  Like in Soniformer 2, the back panel?  It's one of these things that could give an even more organic feel to the compressor.  Well, atleast consider it a bit more, please? :-)

Or do you have any plans making a super-compressor, a complex version with tons of options, user drawable transfer, attack and release curves etc.?  You'd have my money in a heart beat!

Cheers!

bManic

Ps. just being stubborn here.  Give a try atleast, see if you like what it can do to sound.. try it on a busy drum submix

Of course, using various detection strategies give a pretty different sound, but implementing them is out of the scope of this plug-in.

Meanwhile I have implemented true side-chaining and I'm going to post the next beta version soon.

As for 'super compressor', I'm thinking about its possible design.

yay!  Thanks for the reply and side chain :) .  It'd be sooo cool to get a super-100's-of-tweakable-controls-for-freaks kind of compressor.  Maybe make it as graphic as possible?  Lots of user drawable stuff (transfer curve, attack shape (frequency dependant even??), release shape (freq dependant even here!?), etc etc. with knowledge from warmifier, lampthruster and crunchessors valve thing adding grit, brown, smooth, grunt, slap on to transients only or user choosable onto the "decaying" part!  If you're in need for brainstorming ideas for the ultimate compressor please don't hesitate to ask.  Also, I trying to get a Focusrite Liquid channel to our school either for real or just a weeks test but anyways, if you have any test signals that you want me to run trough some of the compressors in it just give me a heads up, ok?  Btw, if you're interested I can get hold of a empiric labs distressor and do tests for you.

Cheers!

bManic

That would be fine if you could run a 12 second sinesweep through any of these devices, at different settings.  Please write me to info@voxengo.com when you are done.

Ok, I'll see if I can get hold of the distressor.  What about short impulses?  How would you get an idea of the transient responce etc?  Maybe short bursts of white and pink noise?  I'll start preparing a library of stuff to run trough the machine as I'll probably have about an hour of time to do the tests, no more, as it's at a commercial studio.

Cheers!

bManic

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.