Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Discussions     Announces, Releases and Discussions Voxengo SPAN released (free PC VST plug-in)

Jan, spectrum is not flickering, it just redraws less frequently.  I may make it smoother later.  But in any case, with block sizes > 4096 it won't be much smoother than it is (at 44.1kHz).

Thanks Aleksey, for clarifying.

I think my point number 2 should be the most impotant thing in an anylizer even a free one.

"2.  Real time ballistics with no fall time and no averaging at all.  Period.  Like the fastest ballistics in your curve eq plugin version 1.9c - after that your fastest time was still slow.  This helps to 'see' sound, like kick drums. eg.  In Span a kik pattern of 8th notes reads louder than the same kik with 4th notes."

Music is real time.  As humans we recieve the information as sound presure waves in real time.  So I prefer to see the information that represents the truth. (see my point above regarding 4th notes and 8th notes - try it).

Whilst I'm here blabing away, do you think gliss eq could have an inverse dynamic, different to what it does now?  Instead of turning up a frequency and then squashing it, what about turning a freqency up by expanding its dynamics ( an uncompressor ).  You can do this in Soniformer already.

Music is real time.  As humans we recieve the information as
sound presure waves in real time.  So I prefer to see the
information that represents the truth. (see my point above
regarding 4th notes and 8th notes - try it).
That's not really true, we do not see or hear through a transparent pane of glass, all our perceptions are coloured.  What we can see with our eyes we cannot necessarily hear with our ears, and vice versa, and information doesn't necessarily represent perceptual truth.

Pboy, I may add a new 'inf' speed option later.  However, I agree with Andrew that non-averaged spectrum is not what can be useful in general.

I'm also planning to experiment with the 'dynamic' thing you've mentioned.  Possibly, I can make an 'average dB per second' dynamics indication so that spectrum areas which are dynamic or static can be seen.

Have you seen the historgrams in Izotopes stuff and TC electronic limiter?  The goal would be to represent a histogram for each frequency band.  Instead of a 2d graph for the signal level history, a thin bar (1d) with color to represent values, hence it becomes 2d again.  Then you can play with the balistics and what have you and you should end up with a 2d plane like curve eq etc but with another dimension, ie - history of peaks values.  Please send my royalty cheques to P.O.  Box,,,

Ha ha.

The more sophisticated spectral analysers which model human perception use arrays of gammatone filters.  A gammatone filter is an impulse response which has been shown to correspond closely to the postulated filters in the inner ear.  I would imagine that impementing something like this would be very cpu intensive, but since Aleksey writes in assembler at inhuman speeds then who knows anything's possible!  For more info Google "gammatone" "rounded exponential" "filter".

Andrew, could you send me some specific link to a practical use of such filter?  I'll keep these gammatone filters in my mind, but if you have something for immediate use, I may implement these quicker.

Auditory filter stuff

Gammatone filter stuff

NB equation 4 is wrong (it should be 4.37/1000 not 4.37)

However I think substituting a gaussian curve to "spread" the data in the frequency domain would be a pretty reasonable Gammatone substitute, and maybe easier to implement.  If you do this then the standard deviation of the Gaussian curve needs to be set so it corresponds to the correct Equivalent Rectangular Bandwidth (ERB) for each given frequency.  If you want to persue it then let me know and I can give you the correct formula.

However, please don't sacrifice development of IM etc. for the sake of a Spectral Analyser ;-)

Thanks for those URLs.

Andrew, please send the relevant formula to info@voxengo.com.  Gaussian filtering seems like approach I'm looking for, at least I wanted to implement some kind of averaging into spectrum drawing code.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.