Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Discussions     Announces, Releases and Discussions Soniformer 2 alpha testing

Fluffy mode is simply a 'square of the gain' mode.  If you have
3dB of gain in the non-fluffy mode, you'll have 6dB in fluffy.
That's squaring the non-log gain, I presume, which is equivalent to doubling the dB gain change.  What I don't understand is that if fluffy is just doubling the gain change, then for any compression ratio above 2, the output would get quieter as the input is increased, and this obviously isn't happening in Soniformer.

Hi Aleksey

Now this is THE Voxengo plugin, I've waited for !!

( Actually I thought it could have been GlissEQ, but there are too many things happening, that I can't controll. )

I will order Soniformer right after I've written this !!

As usual, I have some suggestions, ideas and wishes :

- I like the design !!

But, the olive green gain bars and the plain blue lines do not fit in ! ( my humble opinion )

It would be great to have an .ini file like in CurveEQ, to customize these colours !

- The Control Points can't be set to 0,0 ( I can only get to +0,1 or - 0,1 ).

A modifier to set the points back to zero, would help !

- I would like to have a higher resolution for short Attack times.

It's a bit hard to adjust Attack Times between 1 and 15 msec. ( maybe a log. scale )

- As the 'View Slope' parameter alters the threshold, it would be good,

if the threshold curve would reflect the Slope settings !

Also the name 'View Slope' is a bit misleading.

- The Overlay Envelope always changes, when the Edit Envelope is changed two times.

I think it should always show the Curve, that is chosen in the 'Overlay Env' field !

Some Suggestions, to extend Soniformers usability ( for Vocals / Instruments ) :

- Extended Ratio range

- 2 additional resolutions for the lefthand Gains scale ( e.g.: +/- 6db and +/-12 db )

- Further reduced CPU usage ( if possible )

- A mono version ( should also reduce the CPU load ?! )

- A Knee parameter

And Finally a question :

As the Output Gain works like an FFT EQ, what algo is used ??

At first glance it seems to offer a pretty good low end resolution.

So it can't be Linear Phase ???

bye, Jan

Another comment, the meters should be pre the final Main Out gain control.

I'll see what I can do with the attack scale.  I don't really think that a higher resolution is needed, because mastering type of compression should not use very fast attack and release values.

Slope control is enough as it is.  It does not adjust any curves, but allows you to fit the program material to the threshold curve you already have.  So, there should be no problems.

Overlay curve was made that way to allow editing of two envelopes.  You can switch between two envelopes and always see the previous envelope.  This is very convenient in my opinion.

Also, I don't think the extended ratio range is really needed.

Knee is not considered right now, because this could increase the CPU load considerably.  Moreover, having 32 bands, knee parameter is not what is totally necessary.

BTW, mono version is already incorporated into Soniformer.  All you need is to use mono signal source (not all hosts allow this, though).

Output gain envelope does not work like any normal filter or equalizer since it adjusts the output gains of each band.  And of course, this filter is not linear-phase.

Andrew, OK, I'll make it a pre-gain analyzer.  Was thinking the same, but that required additional processor instruction per band, so I left it as it is.

Does Soniformer 2 work as a downward expander?  If it did, it would be THE killer noise removal tool.

As long as the signal above the thresholds isn't affected and the signal below is lowered in level, it could act as a 32 band noise gate!

Is this possible?  What are the settings?  This would be great preset for Soniformer 2.

Jonas, thanks for the idea.  I'll try to get it working.  Although, Redunoise is a better solution for noise removal.

Aleksey could you explain what the "view slope" does?

Andrew

As far as I understand it, the Slope Control works like the Slope in CurveEq.

I.e.: it boosts the higher frequ. in the detection part.

So, with higher slope settings, the threshold for higher frequencies doesn't need to be lowered that much ....

... but I may be wrong ... ;)

Aleksey

Thanks for the info ...

I often need a Multiband Compr. to work like a limiter, especially in the higher frequencies.

Higher Ratio and easier Attack adjustment would make Soniformer my number one choice !

I still think the actual behavior of the Overlay Env could be improved.

I agree that the current mode can be useful.

But often, I would like to see the Output Gain, while working on Threshold, Attack and Release.

A solution would be, to add the current *switch to the last used Env* - mode,

as an additional entry, in the 'Overlay Env' drop down menu.

bye, Jan

Thanks Jan, that's pretty much what I assumed it does.  I just want confirmation that if I select a slope of, say, 4.5dB and drag down the threshold envelope, keeping it horizontal, that in actuality the threshold now goes down by 4.5 dB/8ve.

I miss the In Gain control from the original Soniformer because it allows to quick universal threshold adjustments without having to drag the envelope up and down (and risk it losing its shape due to a node hitting the top or bottom).  Would you consider re-introducing it, Aleksey?

Yes, slope works exactly that way - it adjusts slope of the spectrum on the analysis stage, without affecting the output level.

I don't really think that a separate In Gain envelope would be of any serious use.  By using the slope control it should be possible to fine-tune any program material you pass through Soniformer.

As for Overlay Env, I'll add a global switch which will allow both modes to be used, i.e. auto and manual switching.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.