Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Discussions     Announces, Releases and Discussions is spectral-ducking useful or mostly pointless?

Hi Aleksey, hope all is good with you :)

I have a general music-question I'd like your opinion on.

I'm a big fan of Voxengo plugins.  They fit very well for music-work and don't have features or control-ranges that falls outside of what is useful in music.  Some other plugins have tons of features, or have control-ranges that go far beyond even '11' on the scale.  Stuff that may seem cool in an ad, but which would never be really useful when working with music.

Also, by using mainly Voxengo-plugins, I have become accustomed to the GUI and therefore can work faster because all plugins share the same kind of workflow (same method of doing things, same meter read-out displays so it's easy to interpret what they show, etc)

I tend to NOT want to begin using plugins by other makers, unless it's some very specific need not covered by the current Voxengo offerings.  Having to learn a new plugin-logic, learning to read its display, etc, is extra work that is only worth it if the plugin brings something very useful.

Your plugins just seem to be tailored by a musical-mind, rather than simply a technological-mind :)

For that reason I have come to believe that if a feature isn't implemented by you in any of your plugins, it's very likely because it is of little musical value.

I would like to just be sure though, do you think 'spectral ducking' (via side-chaining.  For example; ducking the instruments when the vox plays, or the bass when the kick plays) is useful in music?

I know there are no Voxengo offers that does this, so I'm a bit concerned that chasing 'spectral ducking' may be a, pardon the pun, goose-chase not really worth the effort (finding and learning a whole new plugin just for that specific type of effect)

It's sounds to me like it may be useful, but I'm not sure.

So with your indepth knowledge, I would like to hear if you think it's a feature worth having in a musician's tool-box?

'Spectral ducking'

Should I look for a plugin that can do such a thing?  Or is it mostly pointless?

(I know if I ask on gearslutz or kvr I'll get a million responses saying all kinds of things, but given that your plugins fit my way of working I value your opinion a lot :) )

Thank you.

JEL

My platform: Win7 home premium x64 // I use Voxengo 32bit & 64bit VST plugs in Reaper 5.x 32bit and 64bit

In my opinion, spectral ducking is not very useful, because it will adjust the spectral balance of the sound being ducked.  So, while such ducking can free up some spectral space for a chosen sound, it does so by adjusting the spectral balance of the background sound.  Not good in my opinion.

Broadband ducking is a different thing on the other hand.

To use ducking or not, is a question of preference.  Ducking may produce a "full featured" sound, but with a chance to sound like a mess in the end.  Ducking is probably best suited for voiceover.

Thank you very much for your reply, Aleksey.

Much appreciated.

I have not had a formal music-education, so there are many things and concepts I do not fully know about or understand.

I know when I hear sound I like, but my fundamental music-understanding is something I build on constantly (obviously hoping to get better by learning more and more as I go along)

And spending time going down blind roads, chasing wild geese that in the end doesn't improve on my musical sound, is something I always try to avoid, so thank you again for your insight on this.

It's so easy to get halfway caught up by all the fancy words in the tons of ads for 'gold-plugins' that the internet is full of.  All promising to be THE plugin that you can't live without.

Your ears I trust!

Thank you, and have a good Christmas if you celebrate that :)

jacob.

My platform: Win7 home premium x64 // I use Voxengo 32bit & 64bit VST plugs in Reaper 5.x 32bit and 64bit
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.