Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Discussions     Announces, Releases and Discussions CurveEQ Version 3.2 features

I recently upgraded to CurveEQ 3.2, after much superb use of Version 2.  I note that I can use both Version 2 and Version 3 in Wavelab without creating a conflict, yet I would still like to transfer some of my saved presets for Version 2 into the new version.  I have not devised a way to do so.  The old saved presets do not "open" in version 3.2.

I also have a question about the Mode function, normally set at "default".  It is unexplained in the User Guide.  Its effect upon the look of the display is obvious, and the Spectrum Match use of Average is also obvious.  What is most interesting is the High Res setting, which affects (to my ears) not just display, but actual audio resolution of the plug-in.  Have you changed the actual windowing/kernel modeling/convolution (etc) parameters for Version 3?  This is not mentioned, although it would seem an obvious thing.  I suspect that you have changed the algorithms, given the improved excellence of the sound of Version 3.2.

My last question concerns the Spectrum Match from a stored .wav file.  I don't see how one can do that in the present version, except to play a representative section real-time.  Perhaps I am missing something.

I have some 18 Voxengo plug-ins, and each one has been a purchase worth making, and at a good price, to boot.  They are logical, efficient, and most-satisfying to use.  Please keep up the excellent work.

George Henderson

Mode changes the visual look only, it does not affect the sound - you are having a placebo effect with the High Res mode.

Internally, a lot was redesigned in version 3, sound-wise.

There's no way to load version 2 presets in version 3, this feature is not a popular demand it seems.

You can load a spectrum from WAV file - there is Load option available in each static spectrum slot.

The change in timbre with different Mode settings is noticeable even on 78rpm sources I sometimes restore, where the musical definition and the "clarity" of surface noise is more defined.  This occurs only on Min-Phase usage, with High Res setting, or even more so with Avg+Max.  Changing the Mode settings using Linear Phase mode has absolutely no audible effect.  By the way, your Linear Phase mode is even more musical than before, with artifacts at a bare minimum, and superb definition as a result.  An excellent tool, much improved.

I must suspect that the changes I hear have to do with the difference in activity in the display, somehow causing less internal noise within the CPU.  My power lines have special filters installed in each circuit in the building, and the noise floor is *extremely* low.  Whatever the cause of the change in timbre, your product gives me much pleasure to use.  Thank you for making it even better. --GH

George Henderson: The change in timbre with different Mode settings is noticeable

George Henderson: I must suspect that the changes I hear have to do with the difference in activity in the display

If I may interject a suggestion: Render the same sample twice, with mode set differently on each.  Then play back those 2 samples with the same media-player and with the same display on your screen.

This way you should be able to eliminate the differences in noise that different displays can give on sound generated by the computer.

And then you should be able to hear if the mode-change is really affecting sound or not :)

I haven't run any tests myself, on this particular issue you have, but I've had my own battles with computer-noise and radio-interference that changes depending on what you see on the screen/monitor.

Cables that pick up electrical hum from the electrical circuit, or when a fridge turns on and off, of from tv-displays, all that kind of stuff.  There's enough electrical interference in any normal home, that's for sure.

Even if you work only in the digital domain, you may still have cables plugged in that pick up interference.  I actually have a radio-station that I can sometimes hear when I plug my mic in and hold the cable in a certain way.  Even though I work with a digital mixer and pro cables.  It's too expensive to build a complete Faraday-cage around your home to exclude these things.

So my take on your post is that that might be what you're experiencing to in your sound-work :)

My platform: Win7 home premium x64 // I use Voxengo 32bit & 64bit VST plugs in Reaper 5.x 32bit and 64bit

We have a Faraday kind of cage in the studio room where we record drums (beside good acoustic decoupling).  This helps to have a very low noise-floor.  But the worst interference comes from computer's peripherals indeed.  For example, I can hear pretty loud noises when scrolling the display with the mouse wheel.  And that's with time-proven Genelec monitors and RME PCI sound card.

I guess, different spectrum mode options can cause different "interference patterns" hence causing the audible change in sound coloration.

I did the test suggested by JELSTUDIO and I can report that the changes we are discussing are right there in the resultant files, after processing.  I chose a really harsh-sounding commercial Dusty Springfield CD (on her label), with her classic " Wishin' and Hopin' ", where the percussion is hyper-abrasive, and too-hot vocal is really mastered over-the-top.  Way too much treble.  Definitely not the same results with the two different mode settings.  Avg+Max is much cleaner and fresher sounding than Default is.

Although we should *all* live in a Faraday cage in this age of RF-everywhere, I have attempted the next best thing.  In addition to a couple special power cords on the stereo, and special filtering peppered on all the mains circuits, *every* mains cord in the house has a ferrite surrounding it, down to the clocks and appliances and lamps, etc.  Each one is locked in down to the millimeter using wire ties; this is done while auditioning audio.  Even a lo-fi boom box or table radio, positioned nearby, will tell you where that exact focus-place is, as you slide down from the chassis a few inches, moving backwards toward the wall plug.  Just about nobody does this sort of fine tuning, but the results on audio and on the TV and computer screens are additive, and will pay you back handsomely.  Try it for yourselves, if you are adventurous that way.  RF is *not* your friend.  LOL

Aleksey, that noise is from the powersupply.  If you use your mouse cursor to move a slider instead of scrolling, do you still hear that noise?

The phenomena is called something, but i can't remember it right now ...

While it can be due to many different reasons, if it happens in Internet explorer you can turn off smooth scrolling in advanced settings.  It will obviously not help if it's in the audio software.

It's not software and it does not always happen.  I'm not sure what makes it happen when it happens.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.