Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Analogflux Suite Whats the deal with the EM gain knob?

Is it backwards or what?

When i turn it up i get less distortion...down more.

Am i not understanding the concept right?

Am i right in understanding that if the the EM gain is off i should get equal distortion across the freq spectrum?

EM gain corresponds to 'Emphasis gain'.  This means that distortion in the lower frequencies will be minimized if this gain is higher.

So if i center the shelf @ 1k everything above hits the tape louder and distorts more preserving the integrity of the frequencies below?

Not having much knowledge about tape machines i find the concept a bit difficult.

Could you explain in just a bit more detail.  I realize you are a minimalist in this area. :)

Yes, it is.

This concept is known - it is called pre-emphasis filtering.  It is performed to get an overall better sound and is based on the fact that higher frequencies have lesser amplitude in the average recording.  That's why we can increase the highs, record it to tape and then decrease it back when playing back the tape.

Ok.  So with this in mind, what is the reason for the pre saturation tone controls on tape bus and theoretically should we be cutting highs after the saturation to emulate real tape usage?

Just curious about your concept on the use of tape bus.

'Saturate' control is meant to be used to lower the distortion - it's just a control designed for more convenience.  It's not really available in original tape machines.

So when you say in the manual it's a form of wet dry, it specifially applies to the distortion and not compression?

Yes, this is related to distortion.  You may use Saturate knob to further control its amount.  I.e. turning up the Rec Gain knob is still necessary to get distortion, but then you can use Saturate to lower it a bit.

OK, thanks for the info.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.