Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Analogflux Suite Delay BPM Modifiers reversed?

Last

Next

Previous

First

Is it just me but aren't the delay modifier buttons reversed?

For example, if you set them to 1 and 4 I would expect the delay to be divided by 4 but the Analogflux delay multiplies the delay by 4.

This is exactly the opposite the way other delays work - eg, Steinberg's DoubleDelay.

Am I right or wrong here folks?

Mark

If you divide BPM 120 by 4 you get BPM 30.  So I guess it works right.

Aleksey, yes, I realised after I posted that and went back to the GUI that I realised the reason for my confusion.

As a general observation, this is a problem I have with trying out a lot of your plugins - often very confusing to operate and seemingly at odds with the bulk of competitor products out there (which incidentally, isn't necessarily a bad thing!).

With this delay, I never expected I would have to read the manual to operate it.  I never expected that even after reading the manual, I was still confused and finding it difficult to set up quick patches in the way I wanted.

That said, I still like this plugin suite and will probably buy it but Aleksey, I think you need to focus on ways of speeding up the use of the plugin so when someone is composing and needing to work fast, they can adjust settings quickly and confidently.  Little things like the amount of mouse movement needed to rotate the dials for example.  Little things like quick muting the left or right delay lines.  Little things like enabling the mouse wheel to rotate dials (ala UAD).  Perhaps there is the need for a simple dummies mode (which would suit me when I want something quickly) and the full expert mode.

Anyway, all of the above is meant in the spirit of constuctive criticism, not bashing.  I am still evaluating but I think the Analogflux bundle might be one of the best buys of the year!

Mark

Thanks for your critique!  I'm building a list of possible ergonomics-related optimizations that can be done with a hope to implement some of these in the future.

It would also be useful to have the possibility of linking knobs for left and right channel simultaneous operation.

This is already possible by holding the SHIFT key.  I should have included this into the user's manual.

Aleksey - a couple of things for consideration:

#1 the plugin names are too long so when you have the Nuendo mixer in insert view, it is virtually impossible to tell which AnalogFlux plugin is loaded.  I don't think the user should have to rename them so could they be called AFChorus, AFDelay etc..?

#2 The mouse movement comment I made above.  I have to reposition my mouse two or three times to get full travel on the delay controls and I have my mouse on fast travel.  I always thought that the Steinberg standard for fine control was to use the shift key+mouse drag.  If you are implementing shift + drag for channel linking, I think this might be non-standard.  Could the qualifier key be changed to ctrl or alt perhaps?  I am serious about use of the shift key though - with due respect, I think this should be reserved for fine control.

Mark

I'll consider renaming the plug-ins.  It's strange nobody mentioned this beside you.

As for point #2, I'll leave this for the time when I do various control- and ergonomics-related rearrangements for all Voxengo plug-ins.

The problem with renaming .dll's is that, at least with Cubase/Nuendo, you would cause an incompatibility with songs which use the current versions.  Not a big problem I suppose as the plugins were released this very week, but if you're sure about the renaming, you'd better be quick releasing the update, or some users may complain if they can't open their songs.

Yes, I know this.  So I'll wait for several more requests to reduce the length of the DLL name before I do anything.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First