Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Analogflux Suite What are all the different Tape modes in TapeBus?

Hi Alex

Great plugin!

I noticed there are more Tape modes now.  I couldn't find any description in the manual.  Would you care to explain what they do/what they are based on?

Tape1, Tape1B, Tape1C, Tape2, Tape2B, Tape2C, Tape3

Thanks!

Steve

They all select various phase and frequency response colorations, taken from various real tape machines.  They do not change distortion characteristics.

So which machine is 1/2/3?

and what is the difference between a,b,&c?

thanks,

Steve

A/B/C - the same machine, but sampled at different settings.

Unfortunately, I generally do not disclose real device names as this may be perceived as bad marketing and may infringe trademark use.

I understand.  What kind of settings did you vary for a/b/c?

These setting changes are not necessarily related to tape machine itself - some of the impulses were using different post-processing settings.  Some were created with different rec gain set on the tape machine.

Aleksey Vaneev: A/B/C - the same machine, but sampled at different settings.

Aleksey Vaneev: Unfortunately, I generally do not disclose real device names as this may be perceived as bad marketing and may infringe trademark use.

Were there any speed differences...aka frequency response differences?  I understand your need to protect yourself(gotta love lawyers!) but it would be nince to have a reference like:

Tape 1 was a 2" 15ips model which used X type processing on the output

Tape 2 was a 1" 30ips model which was recorded at a high gain

Tape 3 was a 2" 30 ips model which had Y processing on the output

and so on...personally I seem to gravitate to Tape 3 for some reason but that's just me..I wish I knew why! ;)

BTW, great plugs...I bought the Analog Flux Suite because of the amazing usefulness of your free plugs that I had been using.  The Boogex amp is a pro quality unit...I compared a bunch a few weeks ago and posted a quasi-review on the CW SONAR forum.  The ability to use convolution sims is the real kicker.  I've been using the Boogex with some Marshall and Ampeg impulses from the Acoustic Mirror Impulses I have...combined with your impulses I have an amazing assortment to choose from!  ThanX again.  The AnalogFlux suite is awesome also...Tapebus goes on almost every bus on my projects now.  Now I just have to figure out which combo is my next purchase... ;)

Best,

Andy

www.soundclick.com/andyw

Best,

AndyW

www.soundclick.com/andyw

Aleksey said in an old thread:

Tape1 is close to Studer B67.

Tape2 is close to Studer A80RC.

Tape3 is close to some 'boombox' tape deck.

So there you go!  You like the boombox tape deck!

Don't know if this is still what Tape 1/2/3 is though.

Steve

Any...you say you use Acoustic Mirror impulses.  Do you mean you made your own?  I can't find any Marshall or Ampeg impulses and if I could, aren't they in .sfi (Sonic Foundry) format only?

cheers,

Steve

AndyW, I cannot provide more details because I'm simply unaware of such details.  For example, Tape3 is a 'consumer tape deck' - I do not know IPS speed and do not remember maker of the tape.  In fact I have not collected this information because in the context of TapeBus this is pretty irrelevant.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.