Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Analogflux Suite Clipping smoothed over - amazing!

I had recorded a live violin track (me) at a festival where the sound guy was not paying attention to the levels on the violin mic.  As I was playing along with the headliner, I was looking forward to a doing a nice mix for our compilation CD.  When I previewed the tracks i was horrified to find some really bad clips, I mean real flat-top stuff in some of the transients.

So now I really know what the pros mean by digital clipping sounding really, really bad.....  I was ready to write it off.  Instead I tried just for grins throwing AnalogFlux Tapebus into the effects bin (Sonar 5).

First I reduced the overall levels by applying a gain reduction of 6 db, to get some headroom.  The effects chain now was a Sonitus Reverb, Tapebus, and Elephant 2 set to 4.5 db makeup.  Then I tried a few presets in Tapebus and settled on Vintage Mess, which seemed to fit my situation.

I am amazed to report that virtually all of the really bad clips were removed, and the track, after some surgical removal of a few places that still sounded like fingernails on the blackboard, is actual usable.  Some kind of magic here, Alesksy, thanks!

Thanks for sharing with your experience!
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.