Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Analogflux Suite Description of Insert presets

Alesky,

I was just looking through the online help and I did not see any type of descriptions for the impulses used for presets in AFimpulse v1.2.

For example, I am presuming that preamp 2a and 2b are impulses of the same preamp but with different eq settings.

Can you provide a list that shows the EQ settings, and "hints" at the model that the channel strip, compressor, and preamp presets were styled after?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Enzyme, yes, 'A', 'B', 'C', etc are different variations of the same impulse.

However, I do not think it is useful to know the actual device names, because this is can be totally misleading - original device sounds different, of course.

Alesky,

I understand your point about disclosing actual device names.  After all, if the result sounds good, it really should not matter what device was used.  I was compelled to ask because Neve and AMS consoles are so often referenced as having "that" sound, and curiosity got the better of me.  I guess I can always download more impulses and take it from there.

But, what about the built in variations?  For example, it would be helpful to know that:

Device A, variation A = flat EQ.

Device A, variation B = -3DB cut at 250 Hz

and so forth...

What got me wanting to know more about the impulses was demoing Hydratone's Parametric EQ, which uses convolution to emulate the flavor of classic EQ consoles.  It really sounds great and is easy to use.

Since I previously licensed a copy of your AnalogFlux, Mixing and Mastering suites, I would like to use what I have to get close to that same result for track EQ.

My plan is to use GlissEQ, followed by AFimpulse on individual tracks to get a more "console based" sound.  I use your Gear feature in CurveEQ to acccomplish the same thing during mastering.

To expand on this further: GlissEQ would make the more obvious boosts and cuts on a per track basis.  AF impulse would then provide the baseline, along with the more subtle "ripples" in frequency response (like the Gear impulses in CurveEQ) that would not be possible to achieve with a parametric EQ.  This would be the overall "console character" insert.  Perhaps the insert order should be reversed for a given situation as well.

Anyway, since I would be using the AF insert as a "set and forget" character addition, it would be helpful to know what the variations are doing.  For example, if a variation is introducing a 3DB boost in a given frequency range, and my ears are telling me to boost another 3db in the same range, then maybe the right approach would be to cut elsewhere to get the same tonal balance without such a dramatic boost.

Knowing what the AFimpulse built in "variations" are doing would really help in defining the overall approach towards EQ'ing that should be taken for a given project when using this approach.  After all, the main idea behind using a console insert of this sort is to save time in achieving the desired sonic result, right?

I hope this helps explain why it would be beneficial to further document the details of the impulse variations.  Thanks again for creating and supporting such a fine range of products.

I understand your concerns here.  Describing all impulse files can be tedious (there can be too much small differences - like -3 dB at 250 Hz you've mentioned).

It should be also said that Hydratone has not been tested for precision.  In many cases 'magic' sound is created because of distortions occuring during convolution calculations.  For example, this is the case of comparison SIR vs Pristine Space.  Some say SIR sounds better to them.  I know why (because of distortions), but I'm not going to add these to Pristine Space intentionally.  That's why you may not get exactly the same sound as you get with Hydratone.  I'm only guessing here - some research is necessary on this topic (unfortunately, Hydratone demo no longer works on my computer - probably due to expiration period).

Alesky,

What you say about distortion coloration makes sense - whether intentional or not, distortion can be very musical.  I love your Warmifier and Lampthruster, BTW.

Regarding the AFimpulse, I thought the changes for the handful of preset variations could be more easily described (i.e one or two broad eq changes per variation, etc.).  If that is not the case, I certainly don't want to take you away from creating great new plugs!

Regarding sounding like Hydratone, that was not really my goal anyway.  The impulses sound good on their own.  I just thought that, like CurveEQ's Neve Gear preset, I could get an idea of the overall "style" of pre being modeled, etc., to help speed workflow.

Thanks again for your response.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.